TOSKANI Protocol to fight acne
Acne is a common skin problem that affects the pilosebaceous follicles. It is one of the most frequent dermatological consultations, by both teenagers and adults which affects about 80% of people at some point in their life. The inflammatory lesions of acne appear on the areas with more sebaceous glands like face, neck, chest, back, arms and buttock. In this post, we’re going to show you the most effective aesthetic protocol to fight against inflammatory acne and its scars.
Why does acne appear?
Acne is a problem in follicular unit, where the sebaceous glands are connected to the hair follicle canal and the sebum together with dead cells are drained through the pores to the surface of the skin. Overproduction of sebum can clog the pores and develop the pimples of acne. Later, the proliferation of bacteria in this dead space lead to inflammatory lesions of acne that, if untreated, can result in lifelong skin scars.
Acne has a multifactorial origin. It could be due to hormonal imbalance during adolescence or pregnancy. Oral contraceptives and certain medications like steroids can flare up acne as well as frequent use of oily cosmetics can be another cause for break up of acne.
Acne occurs through the interplay of 4 main factors:
- Excess sebum production: which means a hyperactivity of sebaceous gland in the skin stimulated by whatever factor (hormones, climate, medications, genetics, etc.).
- Hyperkeratinisation: when the outer layer of the follicle is thickened (stratum corneum), the cells that have lost their nucleus become so cohesive and do not shed normally onto the skin surface, the result is comedonal acne and subsequent characteristics lesions of acne.
- Bacterial proliferation: there are bacteria that naturally live on our skin and as long as their number is limited, they do not cause any harm to our skin. However, when they grow excessively, they’re able to colonise the hair follicles, generating inflammatory papules, pustules, nodules and cysts.
- Inflammation: as a consequence of the factors described above, the skin becomes red and inflamed. Following this inflammation, the pustules are generated, which arise when the follicle wall explodes releasing lipids, fatty acids, corneocytes, bacteria and cell fragments or tissue.
TOSKANI Protocol for acne treatment
Through a series of treatments, we’ll aim to reduce the acne outbreak, prevent the formation of new pimples and the appearance of post-acne marks.
Pre-treatment phase with home care cosmetics
To ensure the effectiveness of the treatment, we recommend using Imperfection Peel Booster at night to help unify the skin texture, reduce the size of pores and limit the proliferation of microorganisms responsible for the appearance of papules and pustules.
Phase 1 – Professional treatment with chemical peeling
In this phase, we recommend using a chemical exfoliator such as Purifying Peel or Salicylic Peel. These peels help renew the skin and eliminate dead skin cells, stimulating the proliferation of cells in the basal layer and improving the health of oily and acne-prone skins.
Phase 2 – Professional treatment with mesotherapy
In this phase, we recommend at least 8 sessions to achieve effective results. In the first four sessions, we’ll use Purifying Cocktail, a solution to improve the appearance and the reduce imperfections. This cocktail balance sebaceous secretion and prevents the proliferation of bacteria that cause the typical manifestations of acne. In the last four sessions, we’ll combine Purifying Cocktail with RCPR, an innovative formula with latest-generation peptides to reduce post-acne marks and reduce the appearance of enlarged pores. This cocktail also provides hydration and has a powerful antioxidant action. In each session, we recommend finishing the treatment with Purifying Peel Off Mask and Total Recovery Gel to help the skin regenerate quicker.
Phase 3 – Home treatment
This phase is essential to obtain the best results and enhance the effects of the professional treatment. We recommend following a daily beauty routine to achieve a matte complexion and keep the skin healthy.
- Purifying Cleanser: an oil-free gel that provides deep cleansing and delicately removes impurities and excess sebum that clog pores and lead to the formation of comedones and pimples. This cleanser also helps regulate sebum secretion and can also be used in the body. Use it twice a day, in the morning and at night.
- Purifying ampoules: intensive daily moisturising treatment with ingredients that help rebalance the skin’s lipid mantle, preventing the appearance of imperfections.
- Purifying Intensive Serum: drying and antibacterial gel, effective against blemishes and imperfections. It is meant to be used locally to accelerate the disappearance of localised blemishes and prevent the proliferation of bacteria.
- Purifying Cream: fluid emulsion with active ingredients that work together to reduce inflammation, limit the presence of bacteria, regulate sebum production and fight free radicals. This cream provides a very gentle exfoliation while maintaining the optimum levels of hydration. We recommend using Purifying Cream twice a day, in the morning and at night, especially after cleansing with Purifying Cleanser.
- Purifying Scrub: exfoliating and purifying mask formulated with Moroccan clay, which helps reduce excess oils and exfoliates the most superficial layers of the skin. We recommend using Purifying Scrub at least twice a week.
Post written in collaboration with Dr. Nima Ostovari